Words Kill. Stop Asian Hate.
Hate crimes against Asian American and Pacific Islanders (AAPI) have significantly increased around the globe. In the U.S., the most populated cities have seen an increase of 150% from 2019 to 2020, including 866% in NYC, and most recently six Asian American women were murdered in Georgia.
The fact that AAPI folks at KEEN and in the broader community have to live in fear is simply wrong. The rise in violence against AAPI people is being fueled by divisive rhetoric and misleading information about COVID-19. The lies must stop. We hold the people responsible for spreading them accountable.
So let’s be clear, that fact that COVID-19 broke out in China does not make your Asian friends, neighbors, or strangers any more or less contagious or somehow responsible for the pandemic. Seems pretty simple. The bottom line is we’re simple shoemakers who think a more diverse and inclusive world is a better world. There is no place for racism.
There are many ways to take a stand against anti-Asian racism. A good place to start is https://www.stopasianhate.info to learn more and support anti-Asian racism organizations.
For AAPI Allies:
• Attend a Bystander Intervention Training. Learn how to change from bystander to ally.
• Check out this Instagram post for suggestions: How To Be An Ally + Help Asian Americans Fight Anti-Asian Racism.
• Read "How to support Asian American colleagues amid the recent wave of anti-Asian violence" for more suggestions on how to help, including checking in with AAPI peers, showing you’re aware of the news, demonstrating care for their wellbeing, and offering specific forms of help.
• Support your local Asian-owned restaurants and small businesses, and make donations in support of Asian communities.
• Learn about Asian American history in this 5-part PBS series.
• Check out this article from Playbill – "Stop AAPI Hate: A Resource Guide to Support the Asian-American Community" – for a great list of where to donate, organizations to support, and resources for educating yourself.