KEEN hosted the Vancouver Board of Trade on the afternoon of Friday, May 28, 2009 during their 3-day study tour of Portland, Oregon. We also had the honor of hosting Mayor Sam Adams of Portland, Oregon and Mayor Gregor Robertson of Vancouver, BC.
Key objectives of the trip included:
- Learn best practices that can be implemented in Vancouver BC
- Inspire new learning
- More than meetings: include experiential learning models
Topics covered during their visit to KEEN included:
Sustained Regional Economic Development
- Peter Cunningham, Business and Industry
- Gerald Baugh, Urban Development Portland Development Commission
Topic: Authentic Emerging Economies – How Portland’s culture, taste, & attitudes are leveraged into effective economic development strategies.
- Dr. Sheila Martin, Director, Institute of Portland Metropolitan Studies, Portland State University
Case Studies: Discussion of emerging industries are true and authentic to Portland.
- James Curleigh, President and CEO KEEN, Inc.
- Alex Sokol Blosser, Co-President, Sokol Blosser Winery
- Michael Kelly Brown, Direct Sales Manager, Sokol Blosser Winery
The afternoon meeting was followed by a reception with Mayor Sam Adams of Portland, Oregon.